Friday 6 January 2017

Water colour resisting with heat set embossing powder



A couple of months ago i went in to my local craft store and they had some Daler Rowney watercolour paint on sale, They were meant to £15.00 and had gone down to £7.49 and you get 24 tubes of paint.. Now I'm not what you would say arty in the way of painting and free hand drawing but i thought to myself i might be able to do something with this (even if it was just making up some colour sprays with so perfect pearls or something)...so anyways they have been just sitting there for months unopened.. It was almost as if they there taunting me haha you brought me and i'm just going to sit here...
Feeling as if i had wasted my money on another useless item that was  just going to sit there i decided to try and put them to some form of use... I had played around with resisting a little while before using Elmer rubber cement and rangers distress inks, I wasn't to impressed with what was being created by myself so i guess this is where the idea came for this one..


what you will need for this and to create the card:

Watercolour paints
Watercolour paper
Paint Brushes
Water
Paper towels
Masking Tape or some kind of low tack tape
A stamp of some kind
Clear embossing powder
Versamark ink pad
ruler
Heat gun
crea-nest-lies double stitch dies or a ruler and craft knife
some gems 

I started by cutting some watercolour paper to 10.5 cm by 14.8 cm
Stamped a sentiment in some versamark pad and used paper manina clear embossing power and heat set that with my heat gun


I knew roughly what colours i wanted to use.. mixed them with a water spray with some perfect pearls (just for some added sparkle, who doesn't love a bit of sparkle on a card right!) on an old plate that was laying around. 

Taped the water colour card down with just a little bit of masking tape and just stared adding the to colours randomly.. just played about with it until i was happy.
the great thing with water colour that i found is that if you add to much simply get a paper towel, soak it up and start again, the colours bleed and blend into each other beautifully, and i just loved the finished effect it left once it was dry.. Once it is dry use a damp paper towel or baby wipe to clean some of the paint off the embossing, it will make what ever image or stamp you have used really pop and stand out.


I did decided to make this into a card using another piece of watercolour card the same size 10.5 cm by 14.8 cm and made a frame using a crea-nest-lies xxl these come in a pack of about 11 dies (i used the 3rd smallest) centred the die and ran it through my sizzix big shot. You could make the frames or border for the card with just a good old craft knife and a ruler but i was being lazy. 


Glued the frame into place, added some gems on the corners and adhered it to a base 29.6 cm by 
10.5 cm 

I really enjoyed this project it was so quick and easy and the end effect was just how i hoped it would be.. so if your looking for a quick card to make up and have some old watercolour paints laying around its really worth giving it ago. 

I think this would look great with an inspirational quote, in a frame so i will definitely be giving that ago, but for that i will have to dig out that rubber cement i threw in the back of my craft draw in rage because i couldn't get my project to work out... we've all been there.. : / 

Here are a few other cards i have made using the same technique





Thanks for stopping by 
Laura xx 





No comments:

Post a Comment